Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Startup

So-here we go: This blog is where I intend to put my experiences (weird, wonderful, annoying, really annoying, and "keep that up and you'll lose a limb") that I have had whilst working in the retail world for the last 19 years (Holy crap! That long?). Here's an example of what to expect:

I work at a store that predominantly fixes shoes and cuts keys and a few days ago a woman came in and wanted a particular key cut. She explained that she had been to a couple of other places and had gotten keys cut that did not work, and would I be able to cut this key correctly the first time. She showed me the key and I realized what the problem had been for the other attempts, as the key was one that was often mistaken for another if the person doing the cutting is not paying attention, or doesn't know what they're doing (yet another reason not to go to Wal-Mart, kids!). I told her that we could cut the key and it often got confused and miscut pointing out the difference, but we would have no problem. I cut the key and she left.

The next day she came back complaining that the key did not work because she had gotten the wrong one cut. Because of this, she wanted the right key cut, but did not want to pay for it. The owner of the store was in and she was talking to him, as I was in the back working on some shoes (but still able to hear the conversation). Her position was that because she didn't need an extra for the one that she had had cut, we should cut her the "correct" one for free. Not once did she say that it was our fault that the wrong key had been cut-she freely admitted that she gave me the wrong one-but she still felt that she shouldn't have to pay for another key.

Where do people get ideas like this?